My Life at a Glance

Monday, September 04, 2006

Busy, Busy

I've had quite the busy weekend, and I've learned something....the more active you are, the less time you have to sit in front of your computer and blog. Lightbulb moment, huh? Okay, so not really an astounding revelation. That's where I've been, though. I've been out doing things.
Friday, I went to the park and played tennis with Stephanie (my cousin and one of my best friends). We had a lot of fun. I was pretty pathetic. We didn't play an actual game. We just hit the ball back and forth. We were better when we quit...after an hour and a half...than when we started. Hopefully, soon, we will be playing actual games. I got a good workout, though. I was hot and sweaty and breathing hard the whole time. It felt good. We walked a lap around the park after that, which is 1.2 miles up and down small hills. We let the kids play on the playground for a few minutes, too, because we're nice like that. Not long after we got home, Chris' mom and aunt arrived from Texas, anxious to see and play with the kids. They were here until almost midnight.
Saturday, I got up and took the kids to Chris' grandmother's to spend time with them. It was a little on the boring side for me, but they all had a blast. They spoil my kids rotten. We left there around five, and came home. I watched the Tennessee game, which was AWESOME! Go Vols! About the time the game was ending, Chris' grandma, mom, and aunts got back from visiting his uncle at the hospital. They came bearing gifts and an impromptu party for Elijah. You can check that out here. They stayed until about ten thirty, at which time we all fell into the bed completely exhausted.
We got up early yesterday morning for church. Chris worked the night before, so I took the kids on my own. It was the first Sunday of the month, so the kids got their Sunday School awards. Once a month, they get a certificate and a little toy or trinket of their choosing from the box of prizes. So, they call Kyra's name, and she went to the front of the church, got her Perfect Attendance certificate, picked a pencil from the box, and came back to the pew. Such a good, sweet child! Next, they called Elijah's name. He walked to the front of the church, reached into the box and picked out an orange pencil. Then, he reached into the box, as everyone began to laugh at his double-dipping in the reward box, and selected a small orange monkey. After that, since he apparantly feels that he should get extra compensation for deeming to go to Sunday School every week, he reached into the box for a third time, and selected a really cool matchbox car. Satisfied that he had got what he rightfully deserved, he left the Perfect Attendance certificate in the hands of the Sunday School Superintendant, and ran back to his seat. I was laughing along with everyone else, albeit with a very red face. I mean, it was funny. Especially considering the fact that, for the last month, it has been very iffy whether Elijah would go to S.S. without a big fit or not. So, everyone forgets about the little Harmon boy, and continues to clap for all of the other children. Then, they got to the moment that all the kids wait for...Student of the Month. They called Kyra's name, and she looked at me with that exact look that Miss America gives the other contestants when she just got announced as the pageant winner. You know, that, "What? Little ole' me? Why, I never would have imagined it, but, yes, you're right! I do deserve this!" look. Then she pranced herself up to get her special Student of the Month certificate and the little bag of special toys and trinkets (a kaleidiscope, a notebook, a box of glitter crayons, and a bracelet). As she came back to our seat, Elijah gave his sister an approving grin. I smiled at Luke (my little brother), and said, "We really racked up this month." Luke grinned back and said, "I think maybe you need to put a little extra in the offering plate today." Yes. My kids are something else. We'll just leave it at that.
The rest of yesterday afternoon we spent at home, recovering resting from our weekend with Chris' family, and then we went back to church yesterday evening.
Today, it's a pretty chill day. We have just been hanging around the house all day. Chris is at work, the kids have been playing, eating chocolate cake, and watching tv. I did yoga this morning, but not much else. Owen's napping. In a few hours, I'm gonna go play tennis with Steph again. That's it.

1 Comments:

  • Rachel,

    I was wondering if you would mind giving me your mailing address? Maybe the kids could be penpals? If you are totally weirded out by me asking, I understand. I just know that Lindsey loves getting mail, as does, Michael. My email address is hrussell2@prodigy.net.
    Heather

    By Blogger Heather, at 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home