My Life at a Glance

Monday, September 25, 2006

Little Steps

I want to be better than what I am. I guess everyone does. I want to be a better person all together. It sometimes seems daunting to think of it as one big thing, but I guess it's small steps...the little choices we make every day...that lead to a better person.
For instance, I can say I want to be a better mother, but that's a very broad statment. If, instead of just purposing to be better all around, I decide to make a small change and stick to it every day, it will lead to the end result of being a better mother. I can say "I want to be a great mom.", or I can say, "I want to put my kids to bed every night with a bedtime story, a hug, and a kiss.". Both are true, but the second one is something that I can actually do every day.
I want to be a better person. I really do. I often think of things that I think would be something good to do. Most of the time, though, I just acknowledge that they are worthy ideas, and forget them. Recently, though, I was thinking that a Children's Choir at church would be a good way to have the littlest of our church family participate in the service. While thinking about that, I thought that having the teen girls work with the little ones would be a good way to get the girls involved in service to the Lord. For once, though, I didn't just think about it, but I also asked the Pastor if it would be okay for me to get it going. He gave me the okay, and the girls were all willing to help out with it. A lady from church agreed to help oversee it with me. We had our first practice last night. It went well. All of the little ones were cooperative, and they learned fast. The girls all stayed after church, and helped. I felt kind of...inept. I maybe picked a bad song for such little kids. It had verses that were a hard for kids who can't yet read to learn. I just didn't think it through, because I was concentrating on the chorus. Thank goodness for the lady who is helping me. I have zero experience working with little kids (outside of mothering my own kids), and I really didn't know what to do. I am not a natural leader by any stretch of the imagination. It's hard for me to tell other people what to do, because I second guess myself all of the time. This lady is wonderful with little kids, though. She sat down with them, helped them learn the words, and knew how to do it. I felt kind of dumb afterward, but I guess the end result was exactly what I envisioned. Everyone cooperated, everyone was involved, and the kids pretty much learned the song.
So, I took my small step, and I plan on taking a few more. I don't know what the Lord has planned for Chris and I, but, seeing as he has been called to preach and is now in seminary, it's not that "out there" to think that we may someday be in full-time ministry. Maybe my fledgling attempts at helping out at church or following up on an idea will help prepare me for that. I might mess up. I know other people can do it better than me, but, if I don't try, how can I expect to learn? I have already learned by taking my little step that, if I do try something that I feel is hard for me, it may just all work out okay. Knowing that, I think I'll keep taking little steps, and have faith that God will help mold me into the better person...the better Christian...that I want to be.

3 Comments:

  • Oh my, my, my. I am sure you have read my last posts these last few days, and I pretty much feel inept. All day. Every day. But you know what? I am one out of 150 people that is actually doing something for God. That's all that matters. I am not patting myself on the back, here, believe me! I am just saying that, Usually, my biggest critic is myself. Two, usually the second biggest critic is someone who is sitting on his lazy rear doing absolutely nada. Not a thing. And there are plenty of those! Big pat on the back for you for actually doing something about your plan. So many people talk big, but never follow through. And those kids will love you to death. We need a kids choir, but since I am doing 500 things that no one else is doing, I can't take on another thing. I would love to have someone like you step up to the plate and do something with the kids! It would be so nice. ~Cassandra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 AM  

  • Way to go, Rachel! You are so right about taking little steps. It is so hard sometimes to go outside of our comfort zone. Remember, you thought of it, planned it, and did it........be proud of your accomplishment:)

    Now, if I could just follow my own advice!

    By Blogger Heather, at 10:31 PM  

  • Thanks for the comments guys! I wish I could help you out, Cassandra. Just think how much better our churches would be if everyone would step up and take the responsibility to do something.
    Heather, you're so right. It is hard to go outside of our comfort zone. It's hard to put yourself out there and try something new....even if it is something that you know is a cause worthy of your time and effort. I guess we should all just take those little steps, and just do what we know we ought to do. Sometimes taking our own advice is the hardest thing of all.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home