My Life at a Glance

Friday, October 27, 2006

Whoa, Mama! Whoa!

I was on my way to pick up Kyra from school today, with Elijah and Owen, and it was raining. It had been raining all day long. I had just slowed down to take a huge curve at the top of a very big, steep hill. I had gained a bit of speed as soon as I started down the hill. Suddenly, a purple car pulls out right in front of me. I had about two seconds to hit my brakes, and...they didn't work. The hill was so slick with rain that I was just sliding. In the split second before I t-boned the purple car, I jerked the wheel to the right, and into the ditch. My heart was beating out of my chest as I slid about a hundred feet down the hill. My brakes were useless on the wet grass and pavement. I was bumping violently over rocks, and Elijah was in the back saying, "Whoa, Mama. Whoa! Whoa, Mama! Whoa!". I finally skidded to a stop. I put the car in park, and sat there trying to catch my breath.

Did that just happen?


It did, and I couldn't believe it. I had went years without any automobile incidents, and I had just gotten into the second one in only about a month's time. As I sat there, the purple car pulled down beside me. I looked over to see three teengagers with three very worried looks on their faces.
"Are you okay?" the boy in the passenger seat asked.
I nodded. "Did I hit you?". It had all happened so fast that I didn't even know if I had hit them at all.
"No." the boy said. "We're so sorry. She didn't see you."
How could you? I thought. You didn't even slow down before you pulled out.
I was standing in the rain, with my hand over my heart. I couldn't quite catch my breath.
"Are you okay, Ma'am?" the boy in the backseat asked me.
"Yeah. I'm just nervous. My heart is pounding." Inside, I was thinking, I can't believe that I am the adult in the situation. I don't know what to do.
So, I did what any good woman would do. I called my husband.
Long story short, I called Chris, got the kids' phone number just in case, sat on the side of the road crying a bit and telling concerned motorists that I was okay and my husband was on the way, and then got out and stood in the rain while Chris drove the van out of the ditch. I couldn't believe that the van was not hurt at all.
Chris drove his truck to a parking lot, and then drove us to pick up Kyra, making sure the van was driving right. I kept replaying the whole scene in my mind. I am so glad that I had those two seconds to decide to jerk the wheel towards the ditch. If I had of hit those kids, I probably would have hurt them really bad, or even killed them. They were in a little car, and I was in my big van. The two boys were on the side that I would have hit. Without those two seconds to make a decision to do something other than hit my brakes, things would have been a lot different. God was definitely watching out for us.
Now, the thing that keeps running through my head is, "Whoa, Mama! Whoa!".

5 Comments:

  • i am so glad that you guys are okay, why didnt you call me i would have came and helped you out. i am so glad that Elijah was able to do the speaking during the accident, eventhough it seems funny now that he did i am sure that it wasnt at the time. love you guys see you all at church tommorrow.

    By Blogger misty, at 2:53 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 3:47 PM  

  • Thanks, Sis. Chris was at home, and this happened less than two minutes from the house. I was only there on the side of the road for about ten minutes, because I called Chris as soon as it happened. I started to call you to pick up Kyra for me, but when the van turned out to not be damaged, there was no need. We were only about ten minutes late to pick her up. I can't believe how well it all turned out, when it could have been really bad. I'm so thankful to have the Lord always with me.
    See you in church tomorrow! Love ya!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 3:49 PM  

  • Oh my word! I am so glad I have never been in a scary situation like that! That is hilarious about Elijah. At least he didn't start crying and screaming. That would have just added to the chaos. I can just see him in my head- he probably was wondering what got into his crazy mommy to be going off the road like that! ~Cassandra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM  

  • Wow. THAT sounds scary. :( I'm so thankful that you are safe!

    By Anonymous Holly, at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home