My Life at a Glance

Monday, November 27, 2006

Busy as a....

wife to a full-time student/40+ hour a week worker of varied shifts, and mother of three kids four and under. Yeah. Those beavers don't got nuthin' on me.

Life has been hectic lately. I'll just hit the highlights.

The day before Thanksgiving, Kyra decided to give herself a haircut. Yes, I know. It was pretty bad. Thankfully, she just cut her bangs. Thankfully, as in it could of been worse had she cut the length of her hair, no thankfully, as in she did a pretty good job for a four year old cutting her own hair. Quite honestly, she did a pretty horrible job. Her bangs are about an inch long. Lucky for her, she is four. Four year olds are not only cute enough to have their general adorableness outshine the hideous haircut they are sporting, but they are also young enough that people just laugh at them in a "kids will be kids" way. She is very lucky to have a good-natured, easy-going mother who, instead of screaming at her for the absurdity of the idea that taking scissors to a perfectly good hairstyle with no mirror in sight would be a good thing, chose to laugh through the tears that gathered in my eyes and tell myself, in the moment, that they would grow back. Kyra was immediately repentant, and realized that her bangs didn't look good. I couldn't fuss at her, when she came to me already sorry and feeling bad that she didn't look the best.

I've discovered that I quite like to bake, now that I have an enthusiastic helper (with bad bangs) to join in on the process. It makes me feel, oh, so motherly to bake cookies with my offspring.

My biggest news is that I have started the ball rolling on the process of going to college. Yep, college. I had always planned to go to college. I took college prep courses in high school, and I always made very good grades. I graduated with honors, in fact. I started dating Chris when I was sixteen, right before I graduated, and my plans changed. Instead of heading off to college, I got married, and started a family. I have never regretted doing it that way. I would do it just exactly the same if I had to go back and do it over. Now that I am through having babies for the time being, I am going to get back to the original plan of going to college. I figure that, since Chris is spending every free moment doing schoolwork for the next few years, I might as well be doing the same thing. I called today to make an appointment with an admissions advisor. I'm supposed to meet with her Friday morning at ten. I'm very nervous about it all. I realize that I am not to old to go back to school. Not by a long shot. I also realize that I somewhat intelligent, and I will do fine with the schoolwork. What everyone else doesn't seem to realize is that I have never been a part of a traditional school setting. You know, with the teacher up front teaching. I went to an ACE christian school (the one that Kyra attends now) from pre-school until the middle of my tenth grade year, and then I was home-schooled for the remainder of my high school education. Just the sheer difference in learning/teaching styles frightens me. New things scare me. Hopefully, though, it won't be too bad. I'm hoping to begin in January. I don't know, yet, if that is possible though. We'll see. Wish me luck!

With the upcoming Christmas season, I'm going to be busier than ever. We have play practices at church for the kids, family things, some Christmas shopping, and all of the normal activities to take up my time. I hope to keep this blog pretty current though. I appreciate you all continuing to stop by my blog. It's cool to know that people are reading what I write, even if I'm not writing as often as I used to.

3 Comments:

  • I can honestly say that I would not have been so easy-going. I would have probably screamed, without even thinking about it. I tend to be a bit too vocal. = ) Easy going is not one of my pre-dominant characteristics. Maybe I should read and learn, eh? = )
    ~Cassandra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:00 PM  

  • What a great mom you are! I think I would have had wet eyes also, if Lindsey ever decided to cut her hair:) It will be a great story for when she is older. Wow, starting college with 3 children, a house, husband, and the children choir....you are amazing. Good for you, I hope it works out and you can begin when you want to. By the way, how is Owen?

    By Blogger Heather, at 9:15 AM  

  • hey sis you been checkin on my blog i am trying to keep new stuff on it........i like reading this stuff it makes me smile alot of times

    By Anonymous jason, at 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home