My Life at a Glance

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Housekeeping 101

I'm trying to get the house cleaned up today. It kind of fell apart over the holiday, what with all of the baking, visiting, and traveling. I just told the kids that they needed to clean up the living room, which is one of their chores. They are both a little under the weather with colds and a touch of the croup, so I'm sure that is affecting their attitudes a bit. Their reactions to being told to do their chore was pretty amusing.

Kyra reacted with tears. She told me quite indignantly that, "I am not a job-girl!" I'm assuming that a job-girl is about the equivelent of a servant. I told her that the living room was her chore, though, and she had to pick up her toys. She said that she wasn't a job-girl, and she didn't want to do it. I told her that she was part of this family, and that families had to all help out. I told her that if she didn't want to be a part of our family, then I guess she needed to go live somewhere else. To which my darling daughter suggested her Mammy's house. I pointed out that Mammy had to go to work and couldn't watch her, and then she added that Mammy didn't have a bed for her. So, in her mind, the one choice of living arrangement besides just staying here was not an option, so she is stuck with us. She begrudgingly began taking her toys to her room, after I threatened to throw them in the garbage, while she cried, "I am NOT a job-girl!". I'm hoping her attitude will improve when she starts feeling better.

Now, Elijah had a different approach to cleaning the living room. He had seven or eight little men in the living room floor, along with a box of hot wheels. So, upon being told to clean the living room, he used a six inch piece of string to tie around the first man, and then flew him into his bedroom, talking to himself and making sound effects the whole way. He then returned to the living room, and tied up the second man. At this rate, he might be finished by the time he starts kindergarten.

And people wonder why my house is always messy!

3 Comments:

  • too funny!

    By Blogger 2timemommy, at 1:53 PM  

  • Hilarious! I love that- a job-girl. Maybe that's what I should start calling myself!!!
    ~Cassandra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

  • What a riot! Your kids are always saying funny things. Love it!

    By Blogger MommyMimi, at 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home